Followers

Wednesday 12 August 2009

A Little Bit Extra


I realised I had missed a couple of half decent photos of action on the Austrian right flank during my last game, so I thought I would pop them in.

Here the two regiments of Austrian cuirassiers lead the rest of the force across the bridge. They are followed by a regiment of dragoons and two battalions of grenadiers. I had high hopes that such a strong force could anticipate some significant success. However, in the background you can see two regiments of Prussian dragoons already being manouevred into striking distance...

This photo illustrates how the Prussians were able to interfere with Austrian deployment, despite being outnumbered. The left hand cuirassier regiment is already at half strength following its first melee (it is also receiving flanking fire from Prussian guns and infantry out of picture to the left). The Austrian dragoons have become vulnerable to a flank charge whilst trying to deploy on a limited patch of ground. Meanwhile the grenadiers attempt to get clear and advance on the Prussian flank. In the event, encountering artillery and infantry fire as well as being threatened in turn by the very successful Prussian dragoons, they would not get beyond the marshy area around the stream branching off the main river.

I hope these extra images are of interest. The Seven Years War period seems to be inspiring me at the moment: those 6mm and 15mm WW2 collections are having a bit of a rest. Next will be a replay of this game with the roles of myself and Paul reversed. However, my next post will probably be a refight of Donald Featherstone's 'Action in the Plattville Valley' from his book War Games. Having acquired a flexible river system, Bull Creek can be properly represented. Of course, it will have to be re-fought in the Seven Years War period, so make that 'Action in the Plattstadt Valley'. Now, what would be the best German translation for Bull Creek...

8 comments:

Fitz-Badger said...

Nice pics!

Bull Creek = possibly Bullenbach or Bullebach? (Bull Brook)

Pjotr said...

I suggest
Stierbach (brook) or better: Stierbucht (inlet/creek)

Did I mention -when using velcro- to have the woolly side on the under side of the edge of both mats and a single broader, hooky band to align and stick them on.

Peter

johnpreece said...

Its a real pleasure to see how your ideas turned out, and I am very pleased if I was able to help in a small way.

I read the post with some anxiety as I had forgotten to mention the most important, and tricky part - avoiding destroying the figures when you remove the curtain!

I am relieved that your manual dexterity is greater than mine usually is.

John

CWT said...

Lovely photos!

Pjotr said...

Inspired -amongst others- by you I've started a blog ... http://nyudrevchronicles.blogspot.com/ Please come and visit. It still is in the starting blocks, but sorting out things...

Peter (aka rf2peter)tersod

Keith Flint said...

Sorry Peter, can't seem to connect to the address you have given.

Pjotr said...

Keith,

Strange. Try again at http://nyudrevchronicles.blogspot.com/
Hope it works, I've tested the other link and it seems to work also.

Peter

Keith Flint said...

Thanks Peter, got it now. Well done on a fine looking blog.